Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Uncompressed ZIP Component works

OK, I have decided to postpone zip compression to a later release since its not needed at this time for the font component. Screens can handle uncompressed zip files and mount XML files and draw bitmaps directly from within an uncompressed zip file.

This functionality is exactly what I needed for my font format which is an uncompressed zip file with an XML & bmp file. I am very happy with the results and the code has already been uploaded to SVN.

What's so cool is that the XML & bitmap component have no idea they are accessing their data inside of a zip file which is makes this design so powerful, less clutter and easier to use.

So now I have to design my XML font format and bitmap layout. I am designing it that you can use a bitmap & text editor to edit a font file. Once I have designed the font format, I will write the component to understand the format and draw text on screen.

Note that Screens is currently not supporting Unicode. I don't find it a crucial feature at this moment in development. Everything is currently ASCII.

No comments: