Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Bug Fixes

I am constantly trying different stuff to find bugs and fix them. You can see from my SVN activity that I am very active on Screens.

I just dealt with little/big endian issues and now I can easily read and write data in its little or big endian format without much work. This is crucial since PalmOS is big endian while Windows is little endian. The zip & bitmap format is little endian so on windows it does not conversion while on PalmOS it will swap all the variables it reads from the formats.

Luckily I had taken into account alignment so I had the macros for reading formats already, so I just had to make a slight modification to them for it to handle endianity issues.

I did find a potential problem that could cause problems with this Screens code base which is performance on PalmOS. Hopefully it wont be too bad or not bad enough that it cant be fixed. Currently I do notice a performance bottleneck when loading bitmaps which I will try to improve as time goes on.

Abstraction does have a performance price.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What time/version number are you predicting for the Palm OS version?