Thursday, December 07, 2006

Update

Great Work! :D Things are going great... I made a simple module that calls some kernel interfaces (CoreObjectRoot and CoreObjectNew) and it works very nicely. The idea is simple, clean and while there is alot of room for improvement, I am currently satisfied. I need now to finish the remaining API functions on both the module and kernel side which involves no complications. I should have this done by the middle of next week. I will be exposing the object, property, method and type components. The item implementation is private for the kernel. The advantage of having the kernel functions be in an interface lookup table is that I can modify them at run-time like hacks can do for PalmOS. Once I finish the API and do some basic testing that they work, I can port the kernel to PalmOS which should be very easy since there is a very small porting layer currently. I have uploaded the changes to SVN on my sourceforge site. 4+ years is alot of time but it was worth it. Remember that all this time was not about just planning the kernel but the future of Screens Environment. It does not take 4 years to write a kernel. It has taken me about two months to write it in code. So, when the kernel is released, what can you do? Well... its all about a store. You can include the Core files in your project and interface with the kernel to create objects with methods, properties, inheritence from types and so on. This does not sound like much but its the Core where everything else is just blocks on top that utilize the structure of objects that the kernel provides. Currently you need to run the kernel once to register its interface but I will improve this by checking if the interface exists and if not, register it. Zakai Hamilton

No comments: