Thursday, December 21, 2006

The PalmOS port is finished

The PalmOS port works wonderfully. I can now add more common code without even having to test it on both platforms. I will add the property API's shortly. It sounds like they are alot of work since I have mentioned it so many times but thats totally not the case. Just lack of time to code. I do see myself releasing the kernel by the end of the month but might be postponed for a bit more bug fixing. I always read post replies. Only wish I got more... but I am lucky to get a question :D While Screens doesn't even have a UI or a Communication system, I have great plans for it in the future. I plan to take Wifi and Bluetooth a step forward by making them generic transfer protocols, you can do so much more with them. Connecting to a bluetooth device will be a simple as browsing a folder. Even for a developer it will be as easy as using the object API. That's the advantage of object oriented storage and why it is so key to Screens edge. You will be able to transfer files from a bluetooth device to wifi device with drag & drop. You will be able to treat them as like you use VFS. Here is a nice feature I will add: You will be able to do offline actions when ever you want that get executed when you get online with a device. Here is a scenerio: You meet a friend, connect to him and start to copy a file from his device to yours and mid way of the copy the friend has to run. The copy stops and when you meet your friend again and connect, it will continue to copy the file. Yes... Resume operations without you having to resume them manually. It goes more than that, you can transfer files back & forth from his 'offline' device folder and they will happen when his device is 'online'. The idea of everything is an object is taken to an extreme with Screens. You will still have applications that deal with specifics but the generic approach allows for many more uses that I cannot even imagine. Its all about a platform. Everything is a platform. If any of you have questions, ask away :D

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, this will be awesome! Do you expect Xec (the kernel) to have as much overhead as Java does, or do you think that Xec will be barely noticable? If it is barely noticable, then this could very well attract many a developer!!!