Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Wow

Three posts in one day... Ok, the reason I am posting is to tell you all that I have just uploaded to SVN changes where the kernel (Xec) is now to be compiled as a dynamic dll when compiling for windows. This makes things much faster and I can see all but the 'loader' becoming dll's because of the speed. How faster? I guess around 3-4x faster then before. There is about a 25 millisecond hit when launching executables and nearly no hit when using dll's. For PalmOS, this does not matter much and the setup for compiliation is still exactly the same. I am glad that the speed did not require a major change but rather a small change to become a dll. I was scared at first since this is my first write of a dll but it worked the first time I tried it. Remember that Screens is not about speed but I do expect Screens to be fast enough to enjoy productivety without feeling slugish. Just remember that windows was not exactly fast neither was the world wide web and we can see what happended with those projects. They got faster as time went by. Performance realy is not that important as people make it.

No comments: