Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Project Status

Hi, The project status is actually doing quite well. There is alot of work ahead but if you compare the amount of work done in the last few months, the code is maturing nicely. Now that windows have objects, even if they are simple objects (no skinning), its a step forward to the windowing working. I will be working now on the input queue where windows will receive events such as tap and key events. I have not finished designing this but I am sure I will find a solution soon enough. I know the speed is currently terrible on the windows version because of sub launching. This will be improved after I finish the input code. I will be also porting Safire when I finish the input code so that you can start running the demos on both windows and PalmOS. I am considering writing a linux port so those running on linux can also have a turn and see the flexability of the Screens platform. The advantage is that I only have to maintain platform dependent code rarely since most of the code is platform independent. So please dont judge the speed of Screens untill we see it running on PalmOS since most the speed bump is coming from the launching of processes on windows which is a platform dependent thing. On PalmOS this is much faster because everything is in RAM.

1 comment:

Jacob said...

Good, I was getting worried that the speed issues would be transferred to the Palm.

Since the hard-drive is the issue, why not store the data being read and written to the hard-drive in the RAM instead? Somehow you could also watch for "old" data that isn't being accessed anymore, possibly through a "last accessed" datestamp attribue stored in each object?