Friday, April 06, 2007

An Alpha Demo

OK, Its not fair for all of you... even if it is taking forever to finish, you are entitled to an all or nothing where either I shut up and release it in one big swoosh or I update you regulary with the development. I have decided to regulary display the results of my work and you can decide if its lame and will take me forever or appreciate the improvements as time goes by. You can find the files at: http://www.geocities.com/zhamilton1/SafireAlphaTest1.zip To run the demo, extract both files to the same folder and run Safire.exe Drag the mouse around in the window, to see the alpha blending effects. The demo is painfully slow because its using the display API. I will see how much I can improve the speed but remember that Screens is not about speed but rather about functionality and ease of use but there is always a way to improve speed so I dont see it high priority at the moment. It uses the windows 3.1 look just to feel a bit nostalgic. There are two layers here where the window layer is moved. Both layers are drawn once and then copied to the display each time you drag the mouse. The three windows are all in one back layer for simplistic reasons but I am sure I will start experimenting with multiple movable windows in the future. Currently the shared memory data source is not implemented but the shared memory component is implemented. I know this project is very technical which is true for most operating systems in thier early days. It can only get more interesting as time goes by... Enjoy!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whilst it is great that there is an alpha demo I was sort of expecting a Palm OS version? of this? Did I get it wrong.

Zakai Hamilton said...

I am sorry about the confusion. I will be updating the PalmOS porting code soon.

Samuel P said...

Yay! A preview :)
stpm

Esteban said...

Hi. I have downloaded the Xec's Source Code from SourceForge.net and It have been compiled in PODS which returns a linker error: "undefined reference to `PalmMainFunction'". How can I compile it?. prc-tools need some special parameter?. After, I try to compile with the test.c file. I thought that this file contains the definition of PalmMainFunction, but it don't. Thank you and greetings for your great project.