Saturday, January 27, 2007

What does Screens bring for music?

Screens is going to do wonders for music lovers. First of all, you will finally able to make your own playlists in a hierarchy, so finally you dont have to use folders to seperate music that you want to hear. Another feature will be the ability to make playlists that are a combination of other playlists. So for example you will able to take your favourite pop playlist and your favourite rock playlist and have a pop & rock playlist. If you add a new music file to the pop playlist, it will apear in both the pop and the pop & rock playlist. I think users will find this a powerful feature. I am very open to features and I am sure I will see them pile on when I release Safire later this year. Even though the syncing feature wont exist in Screens v1 but it will be available in v2 which allows you to sync your favourite music over when connected. It goes even a step further, once you sync, it transfers your entire music collection information (meta data, not the music itself) so that you can decide when offline what music to sync when you go back online. For example: You could be listening to a George Michael song on your device and you can easily tell your device to sync another song from the same album or even its entire album. I see this feature very usefull to myself and I am sure others will too. I have not decided which music players I will integrate with but you will able to control your music directly from Screens without having to exit to run your music apps.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What are the minimum requirements for screens on a pda?