Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Update - Things are moving at great speeds

Hi Guys, I have a few functions left and I start coding the drawing components. After talking with my MSN user group, we decided to push any pixel effects such as alpha-blending to the beta cycle and leave the alpha for the basic stuff such as the interfaces and general structure. The first alpha is right on track for febuary and hopefully you will like my GUI ideas up my sleeve. Note that this is NOT trying to be a launcher like ZLauncher. I am trying to create something NEW, NOT be as close to PalmOS as possible. I got the feeling that some users thought I should go the 'be like somebody else' idea. Screens Environment deserves to be unique. If it's not going to change the face of the earth, what's the point of Screens in the first place. There are enough launchers out there. Anyway... I should hopefully figure out the function names (my hardest work... seriously) by the end of the week for the drawing component. Once I finish the drawing component and do a few animations, I will start working on the layer element functions which allow you to treat the display like a canvas and just draw layers and layers of drawings one on top of each other with clipping and transparency. The advantage is that as long as you dont do pixel effects (only supported in the beta stage) you dont have to worry about transparency colors. Once you do pixel effects, you must specify a layer which is like a mask but with the ability to allow gradients and shape based alpha blending. Remember that the animations are important and they are frame based which means that on slower devices you dont get a slower experience. Rather the animations are displayed with less frames. The advantage to this is while there is enough processing power, animations get displayed with full frames. If you are doing background proccessing, the animations frames get shortened. This allows you to enable all animations without worrying about it slowing down your device or experience.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi! Nice to see your progressing :)

Sorry to miss out on the MSN group today. I won't say this is my "field", but I have some opinions at least which I would love to share.

Keep it up mate.

Petter