Monday, January 23, 2006

Update - Code on the go

OK, last week I didn't get anything done... so I have decided to start coding on my handheld via OnBoardC.. I travel every day nearly 3 hours so I think that it would be great to use that time for coding Screens. I am buying a life-drive at the beggining of febuary so that should help a bit with coding on the go. I however did get to talk to my MSN user group and thanks to thier comments, the alpha looks like it will still be on schedule. My multi-tasking design allows me to focus on the alpha and push the multi-threading to a later stage until its realy needed. There is no point having threads if I don't do anything that needs them. Threads just for the sake of it is not the point. Every module has the overhead of the item store which it can read and write to. I am now coding the item store database implementation so that it will use a resource database instead of dynamic memory. This will give it more persistance. The alpha user interface is not going to be defined in the alpha code but rather it is released in the item store database. This means that the alpha will have to prc databases: one for the alpha code and one for the item store. The advantage is that code is kept small while the item storage can then be modified at any time. I will actually be writing the user interface in XML and converting it to items. The advantage is that I can make changes without recompiling. I will make a small utility which will take a Palm DOC database in XML and create an item store from it. It will also allow to export the item database into an XML based DOC database. The advantage means that I can make tweaks to the user interface and only have to ship the item store database and not code changes. And you get the advantage that you can tweak it yourself ;)

No comments: