Thursday, April 21, 2005

Damn... no luck

OK... so its not going well... but I am optimistic... I found some article on cooperative multitasking which is nearly portable so I will be coding/testing it out next week. This is realy important feature and I am working basicly day & night to get this done as soon as possible, I dont want to take another few months just to solve this. So lets put this aside for a minute and talk about the UI: So what do have in plan for Screens? Its nice that I expose all these programming stuff but what realy interests users is when will it come out and what will it have/do. The first thing I have been terrible at predicting so I just stopped doing so (It was meant to be released 3 years ago). However I can shed some light on what I at least plan to be usefull in the UI which I am always refining. First of all, Screens is going to be very search oriented so for example alot of functionality is built in the basic controls. All list, tables and tree controls are searchable, sortable and filterable. For example if you start typing letters while a list, table or tree is active, it filters out the entries in the list/tree/table to only show matching results. For a tree, it expands the items but still exposes thier node structure. So you can know not only the result but how to get to it. This makes it very usefull when dealing with structured information since it can stay structured and you can search through it. For example when you want to open a document, it shows you a browser dialog however instead of having to expand the tree items to find the document you want, just type the name of the document (or part of the name) or any other meta-data which matches the document and the tree will filter out any non-matching entries so you can find your document much faster. This is going to be an addictive feature because its not obstructive and still keeps structure instead of hiding it like other methods (queries). I'll post some more of my UI ideas soon

No comments: