Friday, March 18, 2005

Heres another update

Hi Everyone, Nope... the project is not dead, its still going forward. So what has happened lately: 1. I have coded the PrivateRecord and PrivateDisk components... I have the PrivateData component to code this week and CoreItem component to code next week. I am late in schedule (I was meant to have a working demo by the end of march but then again I am never good at sticking to schedules). 2. The CoreItem component is now much better designed has a minimal footprint of only 4K without any items and items take only 128bits (16 bytes) per item. Objects are made of a few items so the overhead of each object is about 64 bytes. What does all this mean? It means that the more objects you have in the system there wont be much overload. The item component will get an editorial once its coded because its quite a piece of work. Each handle is fixed and is only 32bit and lasts untill the item is removed. It splits the 32bit into four 8bit indexes and in a tree design it finds the next address by each index untill the last index has the address of the actual data. This allows item blocks (which hold addresses of other items) to only be 1K and be movable without any problem. Only one location needs to be updated per item. I will update you all next week once I finish the PrivateData component. I am very proud of my progress over the years and I hope to give you some kind of facts very soon (but then again... I am always late in my promises).

No comments: