Thursday, March 24, 2005

Blog... Blog... Blog...

So I found last night what was causing headache while coding... Offset calculations The PrivateData component takes the stream provided by the PrivateDisk (previous) component and splits it into allocations called 'Data'. Each Data is allocated after the last data allocation so even if data is removed anywhere but the last data does not regain allocation free space. That space is regained by aligning all data to the start (overwriting free space). This makes allocation and deallocation actually fast while aligning is only done at specific times and is done step by step so it does not stop the flow of the environment. So where is the problem? There are many calculations done like getting the end of the header or getting the byte after an allocation and doing addition and subtraction on them. I was good at math but its hard to focus that hard when you focus after 9PM and able to read the code I just wrote. How will I solve this? I will create some macros to simplify the calculations into macro calls. I am working on the macros (throughout the day) and hopefully I will retry to code on sunday night. We are seeing progress and I am glad that its going well so far.

No comments: