Sunday, March 02, 2008

Its getting really exiting (SVN 0.73)

Things are moving along again and every small step is shaping Screens into a much more usable demo. Here is a demo of the maximize/restore feature I told you all about which I hope you will like:

I found it very practical and easy to use and I wonder why no one else uses this method instead of small buttons. When the shell will be finished, you will be able to minimize windows by just dragging them to the bar at the bottom of the screen.

Screens object storage itself does not use the multi-tasking API's but then again since its cooperative multi-tasking, they don't need to. The advantage of cooperative is that the code does not have to worry about being stopped in the middle of processing. Switching of threads only happens when they call CoreThreadYield.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that a bar to show the boundary at the top is needed.

When I asked about the multithreading, I was talking about the SVN log for revision 126. (quote)Added cooperative multi-tasking component which will be used by the object component in the future(/quote)

BTW: your competition spontaneously quit!

Zakai Hamilton said...

I agree with you and I will make a gray box appear around the boundaries when you drag a window.

Sorry for the misunderstanding... What I meant by the SVN log entry is that I will be adding a queue component for sending messages one after each other in a thread.

I have no competition now... I feel all alone.

Anonymous said...

You should patent the drag to top feature. I recommend you contact a patent attorney ASAP.