Wednesday, November 03, 2004

The tree component - Coded

The list component was removed and the tree component was coded instead. It was a logical move and I am glad I finished programming the tree sub component. What's the difference? The tree component encapsulates the data component (so I only call tree functions from now on and not data functions). This is the step before the object component which lets go of the 'structure' sense and allows a free-form storage. It allows objects to have a structure internal which is much easier to view because of the tree aspect. I can browse for objects much easier and can store other information apart from objects as well without hurting the performance of the object querying. Every item can hold both sub items and a stream allocation. This allows a registry like design to implement objects with. Every item also has a nameUID and typeUID so it enhances the overall use of the tree component to hold anything core. All outside components (like the layers component) only use the object component API. Many of you ask me about my schedule? Well... so far I am right on schedule. It took me so far one week for the data component and this week for the tree component (ex list component). The next three week schedule is for the object and links component. They are very to do with each other so it was only naturual to include them in the same time frame. Unlike the tree and data components which have been totally designed before coding, I have many small/large peices for the object component which need to be 'merged' which is why I gave myself 3 weeks. I prefer not to disclose the after object schedule just in case I dont meet the 3 week deadline. Understand that I am working day & night and I am very dedicated to the project so what I need mostly is patience and feedback (via comments on the posts, email or MSN chat at zhamilton1@yahoo.co.uk). You will see much more posts since I want to keep you all much more involved in the proccess.

No comments: