Saturday, March 27, 2010

Why is objects so hard?

Object oriented programming has existed for over 30 years however users still dont see objects at all. Even when it is object oriented, it is made totally static and fixed so that users dont get any benifit out of objects. When you see research projects show how easy objects would be for users, the first question which pops in my head is why is not here yet. The reason is simple: its easy to whip up a demo but its a whole different thing to deliver an actual useful implementation of objects. The last commerical object oriented system that had real objects was OS/2. I am not talking about kernel objects or objects in code. I am talking about objects visible to the actual user of the system. That he is aware of the objects and can manipulate them. Its hard creating an object system. Look at microsoft and see how in 2 decades they still have not able to release an object implementation that is not demo. I had high hopes for WinFS but it failed because its so hard to limit the user experience on a 'limitless' experience. Its like trying to create the base essence for the world, its nearly impossible (although possible since well, it exists). Objects need to be simple in essense but be complex in structure but simple to use. That sounds hard! No wonder I am still stuck on these basic concepts for over 8 years. I am making great progress... Component Based Programming in C has recieved great feedback from my work environment and I am continuing to evolve the model and write code to evolve it as time goes by. I have never let go of working on Screens, I dream about this project daily and constantly researching in code and on the internet to find the solution to this problem. There are many others trying to find the solution as well. May the best solution win.

No comments: