Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Screens is still alive (or at least its concept is)

Hi Everyone, or anyone who checks this blog for life signals, My boss is at the IBC at the moment, so I am stuck at NDS a bit bored untill he comes back and gives me lots of work to do. Untill then, I have some spare time to actually code Screens at home. I just upgraded my RAM to 512 MB which should realy help when coding in PODS because before hand I only had 256 MB and PODS was so slow. I used to use Falch.net but they want down under. So finally it will be a joy writing lines of code without my CPU having to catch up (PODS uses Java which is why it has a hefty RAM requirement). I have been doing alot of research as usual and I still (I dont know if anyone has) haven't solved the problem of the store island which is how to import/export additional meta-data that cannot be stored with the original file. Untill I solve this, I wont be able to make the object storage. So instead, I'll spend time on trying to build a design without the object storage. This means that you wont able to attach contacts to mp3 files. I realy wanted this feature... oh well... I might find a work-around or maybe with a bit of luck solve it. I have noticed quite a lack of products in the area... iSpin seems to lack updates and WinLauncher is looking a bit old as well... is there anyone working on some secret release or is just no one interested in these kind of products anymore. PalmOS seems a bit dull lately apart from selling companies back and forth and new devices here and there. About the only interesting thing I receive from the PalmOS world is Jeff Kirvin ;) If there isn't an object storage which has been the number 1 reason for the lack of Screens release, is there anything you would want instead? Please post here or email me a list of your wannabe features. I am going to start coding next week again after a break of a few months (of coding that is). There isn't any point explaining why its so hard to create an object storage (just read WinFS's problems and I share them as well) but maybe an OS without an object storage is not that bad after all.

No comments: