Saturday, September 25, 2004

Update

Well... you are probably (if any one even reads this blog) thinking that this project is dead... oh well... for those who still have faith... here I go again: I will now code the core code seperate from the API. This allows the core to be more coded for the internal design than user easy coding and allows the API to be totally it's own design instead of sharing the core code. Since most of the core code is not even available in the API (Storage, Memory...) there should be less of a problem of designing for the user and can be more system oriented. The API also uses messages to send/receive functions while the core is internal and direct function calls. Note that the core is only the BASE of Screens Environment. Everything else uses the API so it gets functionality like inheritence and expansion qualities. I will be coding test code (to find API/Code problems) on my handheld daily while using the PC for actual releases. This allows me to find bugs before I get home since I have more time on the road (my job) then at home. I cant wait to finish the core code... you might think why it's taking so long? well... it's because the core gives me an easier start for the rest of the entire system. It removes the need of data structuring, classes (using run-time classes instead of code classes which allows system level inheritence and expansion plug-ins), memory allocation (virtual memory design), VFS file access and other file systems using plug-ins, window allocation and control manipulating and much more. The core is the 'system' which the entire Screens Environment design is based on. There is not a single component which does not benifit from the core design which is why it is so crucial to build such a design correctly. No other OS has such a system from the core for handhelds. When the betas are released, you might think that you waited to long for nothing but in very little time I can add features because of the core. My first version 2 years ago had loads of code behind it with just one line of code to display a window. This design has been implemented in the today version where little simple code calls loads of code which makes code more readable and debuggable.

No comments: