Monday, October 13, 2008

Why is Screens is taking so long?

Screens Environment has been going since 2002 and still no releases have made the light of day. There is a single reason why Screens has taken so long and why I have no idea when it will be released. Its not because I lack time or interest. Its because of the object storage.

If you look at the object oriented OS projects, none of them have made mainstream because they are not practical enough, too complex, too slow and still stuck in a concept. There are many companies trying to bring object oriented concepts to file systems just like me and just like me are still stuck.

If I was not making the object storage, I would of finished Screens long ago but then again the object storage is such a radical change that Screens would not be the same without it. In fact, the object storage would be the main difference between Screens and other middleware platforms.

I need luck, time and persistence to find a combination that works.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

What Unicode format do you expect to support?

Zakai Hamilton said...

UTF-8

Alphasmart User said...

When do you expect the next demo release to come? I'm willing to test it out.

Alphasmart User said...

Windows 7 took your window maxamize idea

http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/ff_aero_snaps.asp

Brad Green said...

I would be flattered

Zakai Hamilton said...

I doubt that they took it from me.

Alphasmart User said...

Still... what happens when Microsoft tries to patent "Aero Snaps"?



BTW: I found this: http://www.ohloh.net/p/screensos/ . Apparently the sites software automatically made this entry...

Anonymous said...

So, why is it taking such a long time, and now with the news that Palm is dumping Garnet and moving to webOS what will it mean to Screens?

Alphasmart User said...

How is the display performance now?